Friday, December 20, 2013

Chapter Two: Awakening

I awoke.
The dark and dreamless void was gone. A pair of turquoise eyes stared down at me.   I wrenched away, stumbling backwards into a pile of snow.
"Easy now!" he said, holding up his hands. "We're not here to hurt you!"
My hands clenched at my sides. Snow coated them. It was cold, numbing. The last thing I could remember feeling, really feeling, had been all-consuming heat.
I breathed in. The cold crept into my core. I breathed out, and a cloud of mist formed in front of my face.
I was alive.
I looked back up at the boy with the turquoise eyes.

"Who... who are you?" I asked.

He knelt down, holding out his hand. "I'm Reece." He gestured over his shoulder. "That's Daria, Nirina, and Hale. We... umm... we kind of.... brought you back."
"Brought me... back?" I said, my brow furrowing.
"Yeah." Nirina said. "From the dead. You're welcome."
"Death." I said, turning away from the group. "I remember dying."
I crossed my shaking arms and stared back at my grave.
"What sorcery is this? How is such a thing possible?" I asked.
"I figured it out!" Reece said, jumping forward with a wide grin on his face. 
"You see, all the usual methods for resurrection, ambrosia, the sunlight charm, the genie's spark of life, could have never worked on you. Ambrosia and genie magic require a ghost of substance. The sunlight charm requires a body... and um..." Reece scratched his head, his cheeks flushing, "... a wizard with a substantial amount of skill..."
"More skill than guppy could ever dream of having." Nirina interrupted.
"Ambrosia?" I questioned. "Genie's... spark? Sunlight?"
"Uhh... yeah." Reece said, letting out a nervous laugh. "I guess magic has kind of evolved since you were alive. Anyway! I figured why not try a combination of sorts? So I-!"
"How long?" I asked, cutting him off.

"Uh, I'm sorry?" Reece said.

"How long have I been gone?" I said, my voice shaking as I spoke.
"Umm..." Reece started, glancing back at the group behind him. "Well... about six hundred years."
The air seemed to freeze around me. The biting wind ripped straight into my core.
Six hundred. 
 
Everyone I knew would be dead. Everything I'd known would have crumbled. 
I felt lightheaded, and I took a step back.

"Sophia...?" Reece asked, reaching for me.
I turned from him and ran, shoving past Nirina and Hale. 
 The gates of the cemetery loomed over me. I stumbled, my feet hit cobblestone.

I heard a roar, and a jolt of fear ran through my body. It must have been a dragon, it could only be a dragon! A set of bright lights shined on me, blinding me. I stood frozen in front of them.



"Sophia!" I heard Reece cry.

He slammed into me and we tumbled into the soft snowy ground. 
The rumbling monster roared past, blasting a horn as it did.
"Watcher!" I heard Hale swear. "I thought we were going to have to resurrect you all over again."
"Are you alright?" Reece asked, touching his hand to my shoulder.
I rubbed my arms again, standing to my feet.

"Yes. I suppose." I answered.
I breathed in, and out. I was alive. Still alive.
"We should take her back to your place, Reece." Daria said, stepping up.
Reece looked back at me, and then clapped a hand to his head.

"Oh, I'm so sorry! You've got to be freezing!" he said, motioning for me to follow him. "Come on."
"Cold is better than heat." I whispered.

10 comments:

  1. I'm really liking this so far. Reece is actually being protective, and the rest of the group doesn't seem evil as well. I'm really wondering what kind of reason you'll make them have for bringing Sophia back. She'd almost have been dead all over again, too! 0.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Sophia, I can imagine it would be very traumatic to be brought back from the dead. And to think she almost died again, she seems very unlucky...Sophia is beautiful also. :)

    Nirina, I love her. Her snarky comments are entertaining. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a trait of hers, but yes... unlucky. lol I'm glad you like Nirina's snarky comments. I had fun writing them.

      Delete
  3. That must be so confusing and frightening and ahhhhh poor girl. I like Reece a lot. And the others too. As soon as Sophia ran out in the road I was like "Nooo there's gonna be a car!" heh.
    Ah loved this <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, of course there would be a car. It's inevitable. hehe. Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  4. You know, cars are kinda like dragons lol

    Poor Sophia. Resurrection should come with a manual...just saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should! (Actually, it might! Do Queenie's challenge rules count?)

      Cars are exactly like dragons. lolz.

      Delete
  5. o_O I had read this awhile ago, but now I'm trying to read those I've not read in awhile. I LOVE this challenge. I thought I'd stated before that if I were to do another challenge (after my wishacy), then it might be this one. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome to see you came back to read more, lovesstorms! Thanks so much for your comments!
      It is a great challenge and I might be biased but I'd say give it a shot if you can! I absolutely love this challenge cause of its storytelling potential.

      Delete